turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SCLeslie
Returning Member

No 1098-T

Last year our son rec'd a 1098-T but this year I am told the University isn't required to issue one.  I don't know how to complete the Scholarship/Grant section w/out a 1098-T.  What am II missing?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No 1098-T

Make sure that the school is really not required to issue a Form 1098-T.

See Questions 18 and 19 on this IRS website for more information - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-questions-and-answers

If you did not receive a Form 1098-T then do not complete the form in the TurboTax program and continue with the Education Expenses section to enter the qualified education expenses and any scholarships.

SCLeslie
Returning Member

No 1098-T

Without a 1098-T how do I complete the section entitled Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships?  He had several Grants.  BTW - I called the school & they told me they didn't need to file a 1098-T for him even though I checked my file & he rec'd one in 2017.

No 1098-T

Is the following why the school is not issuing a 1098-T -

But, for 2018, an eligible educational institution is not required to provide the Form 1098-T to you in certain circumstances, for example:

• Nonresident alien students, unless the student requests the institution to file Form 1098-T,
  • Students whose tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants, or
  • Students for whom the institution does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement with the student’s employer or a government agency, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Don't you know the amount of scholarship, grant or fellowship that was received?  If not, you should ask the provider of the scholarship for the amount that was given.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies