turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inflation

Line1 "Wages, salaries, tips, etc" is listed at XX. Was a full time student and not working. I received GI bill/VA dis, student loans. What would cause wages to be listed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Line1 "Wages, salaries, tips, etc" is listed at XX. Was a full time student and not working. I received GI bill/VA dis, student loans. What would cause wages to be listed

Scholarships that are not used for Qualified Educational Expenses (QEE)(tuition, fees, course materials) are considered taxable income.

GI educational benefits and VA disability are tax free regardless of what you spend the money on.  Be sure you haven't entered GI bill/VA dis as "scholarships", "grants" or "fellowships".

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you have scholarship income?

Do you have any letters by line 1?

SCH by 1040 line 1Wages  is  taxable scholarship income and the amount

HSH is for Household Help

DCB means Dependent Care Benefit

Or do you have any 1099R forms with code 3 in box 7?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Scholarships that are not used for Qualified Educational Expenses (QEE)(tuition, fees, course materials) are considered taxable income.

GI educational benefits and VA disability are tax free regardless of what you spend the money on.  Be sure you haven't entered GI bill/VA dis as "scholarships", "grants" or "fellowships".

Carl
Level 15

VA Disability is not reported on any tax return. That's why you don't receive any kind of a tax reporting document for VA Disability pay.

The GI Bill payments are not reportable unless you received a tax reporting document of some type for that income.

When it comes to scholarships and grants, any of that money that is not used for qualified education expenses is taxable income and will be included on line 1 of the 2019 form 1040 with an annotation of "SCH" next to it.

If any of that GI Bill money was designated for household help, then the amount not used for that gets included on line 1 of the 1040 with an annotation of "HSH" next to it.

If you have a dependent and any of that money was designated for dependent care, any of that money not used for such will be included on line with with an annotation of "DCB" next to it.

So any monies received and designated for a specific purpose, yet not used for that purpose, is taxable income to you and is taxed as ordinary wages.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies