turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dvp

I'm a grad student whos getting a stipend. I got 1098-T form but never paid anything out of my pocket. Do i still need to file this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I'm a grad student whos getting a stipend. I got 1098-T form but never paid anything out of my pocket. Do i still need to file this?

If the stipend was a payment for your services, it would be considered income and it would be  taxable.

Usually, when this is the case, the stipend amount is reported on a W-2.

Since you received a 1098-T from the school, it seems as if the educational institution is treating this as a scholarship or grant. Since you are a grad student, you would be liable for tax on a scholarship as well, unless it was offset by the tuition fees.

1098-T, box 2 shows what the University billed, and box 5 shows the grant amount. If box 5 has an amount that you recognize as the stipend you received, they are treating it as a grant or scholarship.

Enter the information as you would for any other 1098-T.

As long as you were billed more than the "stipend" (box 5) you will have no tax due, but you still need to report it.

If there is a surplus of the "stipend" box 5, because you are a grad student, you may be liable to pay tax on it.

In response to the earlier question. If the amount in box 5 exceeds box 1 (i.e. a full tuition scholarship + stipend), how and where do we report this amount? This stipend was not recorded on my W2

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Enter the Form 1098-T in the education section of your return and the amount shown in box 5 that exceeds box 1 will be reported on your Form 1040 on line 1 with the 'SCH' designation to the side showing it is a taxable scholarship amount.  

Use these steps to go to the education section:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

@fionamarie05

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies