turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am a student who works on campus doing computing, does a research program in computing involve work like my main job?

I work as a virtual reality developer on campus, and TurboTax is asking me if my DREU program I did over the summer (https://cra.org/cra-wp/dreu/) "[involves] work that's like my main job", because they paid me in the form of a 1099-MISC. Should I pick yes or no?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If I am a student who works on campus doing computing, does a research program in computing involve work like my main job?

I would pick yes, it sounds like the work is similar in nature.  However, the answer won't affect what is reported on your tax return itself - this is a question designed to help tailor the remaining interview questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I would pick yes, it sounds like the work is similar in nature.  However, the answer won't affect what is reported on your tax return itself - this is a question designed to help tailor the remaining interview questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's a "gray area" in taxes.  Was the income shown in 3 or box 7 of the 1099 Misc?

You say you work "on campus" but then you say it was "over the summer".  Who paid you? Was it the school or a  for profit company or a non profit?

If the school paid you and the amount was in box 3 of the 1099-Misc, it can usually be reported as scholarship income and not subject to self employment tax.

Any thing in box 7, should probably be treated as "work that's like my main job"

School pays me during the school year: I have a W-2 for that. This question was pertaining to the 1099-MISC for work I did in a DREU program over the summer, which was reported in box 7.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies