turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1098T form from my college that includes all of the grant money I received this year. Where do I report that or can my parents report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

I received a 1098T form from my college that includes all of the grant money I received this year. Where do I report that or can my parents report it?

What you do depends on the numbers.

Example 1: Box 1 is bigger than box 5.  Your expenses were greater than your grants. Your parents take the 1098T and the education credit, if eligible. The difference between box 1 and box 5 would be the education expenses.

Example 2: Box 1 is bigger than box 5.  Your expenses were greater than your grants. Your parents take ALL of the education expenses(box 1) and you include box 5 in your income. This only works if your parents can claim the education credit. The credit to them is usually more than a little or no tax to you. Nobody uses the 1098T itself, just the information split between you.

Example 3: Come up with some combination of the first two that gives one of both of you the most advantage.

Example 4: Box 5 bigger than box 1. You take the 1098T onto your return. You have income of the difference. Nobody gets a tax credit.

IRS and Turbo Tax links:

What's the income limit for the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits?

What education tax credits are available?

Why didn't I get a credit or deduction for education expenses?

If a parent claims me as a dependent, can I claim the education tax credit?

What expenses qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit and which ones do not?

Who is eligible to take the American Opportunity Tax Credit?

Turbo Tax college education discussion

Form 8863

Qualified Expenses

Qualified College

Available Education Credits

IRS Q & A about education credits

Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center

Why is my scholarship taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tawnydenzer - please post the actual Box 1 and Box 5 numbers and i will fit them into the 4 examples provided by @AmyC 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies