turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I put on my taxes that I claimed by someone else for the one semester of school I did last year.I pay my own rent now and I’m laid of from my job.How can I get stimulus?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I put on my taxes that I claimed by someone else for the one semester of school I did last year.I pay my own rent now and I’m laid of from my job.How can I get stimulus?

Are you referring to the 2019 tax return? If so, then you were a dependent and not eligible for the stimulus. One semester of school is all it takes to be a full time student.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You still get the stimulus payment. You just have to wait 10 months. 

Under the CARES Act, if you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return you cannot receive a stimulus check, in 2020.   If you were claimed as a dependent for 2019, but will not be for 2020, you will most likely get it  in 2021.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of a person's 2020 income tax refund. This means when he prepares his 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on his 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount he received as a stimulus check is less than the credit he is due, the difference will be included as part of his 2020 refund. If he has been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, he will not be required to return any excess amount".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies