Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdunne831

I don't pay student loan interest monthly but I do pay with my taxes each year. Can I claim this on the student loan interest line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

I don't pay student loan interest monthly but I do pay with my taxes each year. Can I claim this on the student loan interest line?

Yes, if you paid student loan interest in 2016 and meet all of the requirements, you can take the deduction. Please refer to the following FAQ to learn more. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302319

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndreaG

Yes, if you paid student loan interest in 2016 and meet all of the requirements, you can take the deduction. Please refer to the following FAQ to learn more. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302319

Carl
Level 15

If you did not receive a 1098-E reporting the interest you paid on a qualified student loan (key word is *qualified*) then you have no interest to deduct. So if you believe you should have recieved a 1098-E and did not, you will need to contact the lender for clarification on why you didn't get one. Could be something as simple as they sent it to the wrong address. Another possibility is that you are not the "PRIMARY" borrower on the loan. They would have sent it to the primary borrower. But you can still claim it, provided you *actually* paid it with money that *you* earned from self-employment or a W-2 job.

"I do pay with my taxes each year."

Do you mean that your tax refund is seized for delinquent student loans each year and you want to deduct the interest paid when your refund is offset?  Have you received anything from the lender showing the amount that went to pay interest when they seized your refund?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies