turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can’t find the option of full time student and I need to fix it, were I can find it again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I can’t find the option of full time student and I need to fix it, were I can find it again?

Two places.  1st, some dependents need to be FT students to qualify as dependents . So that question comes up in Personal  info.  Click edit next to your dependents name.

A student only needs to half time or more to qualify for the most generous tuition credit, but full time is an option, in TurboTax.  Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to “Education Information”. 

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Full-time student or half-time student status varies from school to school. Per

IRS Form 1098-T Instructions, the form should have a check mark in Box 8 "Check if at least half-time student" if the college considers 6-8 credit hours to be at least half-time. Enter Form 1098-T into TurboTax exactly as it is prepared by the school.

To quickly get to the 1098-T form where you can select whether or not you were a full-time student: 

1. Type 1098-t in the search box and select the Jump to feature.
  2. Continue with the onscreen interview until complete. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies