turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AS123

How do we enter dependent return for a 1098-T scholarship (box 5) my son received ? I followed the instructions but cannot get to that dependent return form.

My son (who is my dependent on the return) took a college class while being in high school. His tuition was paid by his high school so, box 5 i.e. scholarship amount (equal $ to box 1) is filled on the form. We entered the 1098-T info and TT is telling me he needs to file his own dependent return.  I followed the instructions but it's not giving me the option for dependent return entry? Would appreciate any help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

How do we enter dependent return for a 1098-T scholarship (box 5) my son received ? I followed the instructions but cannot get to that dependent return form.

If on the form 1098-T, box 5 is equal to box 1 then there is no taxable scholarship to report. If your son is not otherwise required to file a tax return, he does not need to file one just to report his scholarship.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AS123

Thanks. But then why does TT tell me that my son needs to file a dependent return after all the questions it asks me e.g. was it used to pay supplies, books, etc? It has somehow determined its taxable I guess.  

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

This is a standard message from TurboTax and it applies if there are scholarships not used for education expenses, which is not the case for your son.

AS123

Ok thanks. I see this as an opportunity to improve the algorithm that TT uses. Seems like it should be able to determine this by analyzing that box 1 is equal to box 5. 
Anyway thanks for your help. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Well, you are at the beginning stages of dealing with the 1098-T. What can happen once your son is in college, you can claim AOTC for 4 years. It is oftentime worth having the student claim some income from scholarship on their return in order to free up money for the parents to claim the AOTC. You certainly would not want to do that with a high school student.

If you want an idea of how things can work out, I recommend you look at another of my answers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies