turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aalleyn

How do I enter my 1098-T information

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

How do I enter my 1098-T information

Here's how to get to the 1098-T screen if you haven't visited the Education section yet:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for 1098t and then select the "Jump to" link or "Go to" button at the top of your search results.
  3. On the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, select Add A Student.
    • If you get taken to a different screen, skip to Step 6.
  4. Select the student whose name is on the 1098-T and answer the questions that follow (the type of degree, full-or half-time, etc.)
  5. After you enter the name of the school, the next screen will ask if that school sent you a 1098-T. Answer Yes and proceed.
  6. If you've already gone past the 1098-T screen, the "jump to" and "go to" functions will take you to Now let's gather additional education expenses or a different screen. Just keep going until you reach Your Education Expenses Summary. On this screen you can either:
    • Select Add A Student if you need to enter a 1098-T for someone else (and then resume steps 4 and 5 above); or
    • Select Edit for the student in question, and then either the first Edit button on the next screen (to revisit the 1098-T for a previously-entered school) or Add New School to enter a new 1098-T.

Some important tips about entering this form:

• Parents: If the student listed on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return – even if your dependent paid the tuition.
  • Students: If you're not being claimed as a dependent, you can enter the 1098-T on your return regardless of who paid the tuition unless it was your employer. In that case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records.
  • Enter your 1098-T exactly as is even if the amounts are wrong (this is common). You'll get a chance to correct this info and enter additional expenses later in the Education interview.
  • Leave blank boxes blank. Don't enter 0 for any blank boxes on the form, as this generates errors.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies