turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have you earned four years of college credit before 2019? I'm not 100% sure of the question. I have my Associates in Science, have an LPN license. Now in RN school.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Have you earned four years of college credit before 2019? I'm not 100% sure of the question. I have my Associates in Science, have an LPN license. Now in RN school.

Although TurboTax says "college credit," the IRS uses the term "postsecondary education," which is somewhat broader. For example, a trade school would be postsecondary education, even though it's not a college.

Also note that the question is only about credit that you earned before 2019. Courses that you are taking now, or that you took in 2019, don't matter.

The school determines what constitutes a year of credit. An Associate degree normally represents two years of credit. If you took any kind of additional courses to become an LPN, that might count as additional postsecondary education. But merely having a license does not count as academic credit. I would assume that "RN school" is a college or equivalent, but you didn't say whether you earned any credits from that school before 2019.

If the Associate degree is the only academic credit that you earned before 2019, then you earned two years of credit, not four.

Carl
Level 15

Did you have ***FOUR**** **** YEARS**** of college credits ****BEFORE**** 2019? What those credits were in doesn't matter. Could be basket weaving. What kind of degree you have doesn't matter. If it took you four years to get that associates degree ****BEFORE**** 2019, then you would answer yes. (I doubt it took you four years to get an associates though) Keep in mind that not everyone attends college as a full time student. So while not common, it's perfectly feasible for someone attending college part time to have been attending as such for the last 5 years, and still *NOT* have four years worth of college credits.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: if you don't have a BA or BS, you haven't completed four years of college, and you (or your parents) can claim the credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies