turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still get my in school credit if I was full time from Jan-Sep? I graduate and won’t be in school the whole year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I still get my in school credit if I was full time from Jan-Sep? I graduate and won’t be in school the whole year.

Yes.

There is no time limit for how long you were a student, to claim an education credit.  You could attend only one week and drop out; you could still claim a credit as long as your tuition wasn't refunded.  You do not need to be full time, either**. Half time or more qualifies for the credit.

There is one time limit rule to be aware of.  You may only clam the more generous American Opportunity credit (AOC) a maximum of 4 times. So, if you or your parents already claimed it for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, you may not claim it for 2019.  You may still  claim the less generous Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).

**Full time student is only applicable if your parents want to claim you as a Qualifying child dependent

Carl
Level 15

Funny thing about IRS Publication 970. It says you have to be "enrolled" as a full time student (half time for some credits) for any one semester that started in the tax year. There's absolutely nothing that says you actually have to attend or participate. It also doesn't address dropping out. So long as you paid the tuition and it wasn't refunded, enrollment is the requirement; not participation and/or attendance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies