turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct my Laptop if I had to go remote for the remainder of my 2020 Spring Semester and Full 2020 Fall Semester in order to attend my classes?

I had to do school remotely due to my living circumstances for part of Spring 2020 and all of the Fall 2020 Semester. All my classes/ materials were online, would I be able to deduct the laptop that I needed to complete my school work and attend classes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct my Laptop if I had to go remote for the remainder of my 2020 Spring Semester and Full 2020 Fall Semester in order to attend my classes?

The cost could be added to the other qualified education expenses if you are eligible for the American Opportunity Credit if you are not claimed as a dependent or for someone who claims you if they are eligible. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, but only if you're required to buy it for class (for example if you're enrolled in an online-only course).

If you bought a school computer out of convenience (in other words, you could complete the class without it), you cannot deduct it.

Note: For the Lifetime Learning credit, you can only deduct equipment expenses that were purchased directly from the education institution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies