Part of my ROTC scholarship in 2016 was a retroactive reimbursement for fall semester 2015, so the 1098-T scholarship is greater than the 2016 tuition costs.

Ignore it. You do not need to count that as income, for two reasons. ROTC scholarships are specifically exempted from taxation  in the tax code.  A retroactive scholarship payment for a previous year is also exempt. That assume that you, or your parents, did not claim a tuition credit, on your 2015 return, based on what you paid in 2015 and were later reimbursed for.