Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1. Can I deduct collection fee incurred when I settled with my student loan lender? 2. Can I deduct collection fee settled with IRS on installment pay for back taxes?

1. I settled with a collection agency that is collecting my student loans now. The settlement / collection fee (not the principal that I am paying) is $10,000 (in addition to the principal amount of the loan). Can I deduct this $10,000 an expense? If not, can I add this amount to the principal loan ($150,000) and deduct as interest? 

2. I also settled with IRS to pay taxes for 2015. Can I deduct this amount, interest, and penalty in 2016 on my tax returns? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

1. Can I deduct collection fee incurred when I settled with my student loan lender? 2. Can I deduct collection fee settled with IRS on installment pay for back taxes?

1. Only the interest on your student loan is deductible.  Other fees connected with the loan, such as late fees, collection fees, etc., are not deductible.
  2. There is no deduction for federal income taxes, interest or penalties.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardG

1. Only the interest on your student loan is deductible.  Other fees connected with the loan, such as late fees, collection fees, etc., are not deductible.
  2. There is no deduction for federal income taxes, interest or penalties.

The answer is No, No, and No. None of those expenses are deductible at all.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies