Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit on TurboTax? Question for 8863 form only refers to American Opportunity Tax Credit. I make less than 23k a year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Where can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit on TurboTax? Question for 8863 form only refers to American Opportunity Tax Credit. I make less than 23k a year.

Once you have entered all the pertinent information into the education section, the program will select the credit that results in the best tax benefit for you when you select "Maximize My Education Tax Break". If you want to change this selection, for instance the program picks the American Opportunity Tax Credit, but you want to take the Lifetime Learning Credit, follow the steps below. 

Type   letme   (as one word) into the search box

Click the "Jump to letme" link

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelDC

Why do you want LTC? Have you already take the American Opportunity Tax Credit for 4 years? Typically, TurboTax will choose the most beneficial credit if you qualify for more than one. Let me know.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Once you have entered all the pertinent information into the education section, the program will select the credit that results in the best tax benefit for you when you select "Maximize My Education Tax Break". If you want to change this selection, for instance the program picks the American Opportunity Tax Credit, but you want to take the Lifetime Learning Credit, follow the steps below. 

Type   letme   (as one word) into the search box

Click the "Jump to letme" link

Awesome thanks so much.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Glad to help. Thank you for using Turbotax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies