turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid 7,428.58 for my son's college tuition in 2016. I can't claim his this year as a dependent as it is his father's year to claim him. Can I deduct this expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I paid 7,428.58 for my son's college tuition in 2016. I can't claim his this year as a dependent as it is his father's year to claim him. Can I deduct this expense?

No, unfortunately, only the person claiming the student as a dependent can claim his education expenses.

The following is an extract of an IRS document:

Who can claim a dependent's education expenses.   If a student is claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, all qualified education expenses of the student are treated as having been paid by that person. Therefore, only that person can claim an education credit for the student. If a student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, only the student can claim a credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

No, unfortunately, only the person claiming the student as a dependent can claim his education expenses.

The following is an extract of an IRS document:

Who can claim a dependent's education expenses.   If a student is claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, all qualified education expenses of the student are treated as having been paid by that person. Therefore, only that person can claim an education credit for the student. If a student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, only the student can claim a credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies