Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ymoon213

I graduated college and I'm now enrolled in first year of grad school. I have never received any american hope credit before. Am I still eligible for american hope education credit?

I graduated 4 year college in 2014 and I'm now enrolled in first year of grad school. Am I eligible for american opportunity credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I graduated college and I'm now enrolled in first year of grad school. I have never received any american hope credit before. Am I still eligible for american hope education credit?

No, sorry- the American Opportunity is only for undergraduate work. Even if you never received it, you cannot get it as a graduate student. Turbo Tax will automatically know and apply this rule because of the Graduate student checkbox on your 1098-T.

All other factors aside (income, filing status can impact eligibility) you will be eligible for either the Tuition and Fees Deduction or the Lifetime Learning Credit. Turbo Tax will pick the tax benefit that helps you the most.

Enter under Federal Taxes- Deductions and Credits- Education

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/College/Take-Advantage-of-Two-Education-Tax-Credits/I...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies