turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdvidal

Can I deduct education expenses if I am self employed?

I have a full time job as a Project Manager and I am starting a home base business. The education is related to my jewelry business not my regular job.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

No, it's not deductible. According to what I read is IRS Tax Topic 513 at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513">https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513</a> :
"....... the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business."
jdvidal

I am qualified I have a  degree, BFA in Jewelry design, these courses are to improve my skills
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: yes; you may deduct education to learn more about the aspects of your business, including management and accounting.

The general rule is: Educational expenses to improve your current job skills are deductible. But learning a new job is not. 

For example: taking the real estate license exam course is not deductible. So, if you jewelry business requires some credential that the course led to; it is not deductible. Even if a credential or degree was not awarded, the course is not deductible if you could not have started the business without that training.

Carl
Level 15

Since they are starting a new business, which I assume is dealing with Jewelry in some aspect, for this particular situation I don't see a deduction at all.
Hal_Al
Level 15

It depends on the details. Just because the business is new doesn't neccessarily mean the education qualifies them for the business. Whether poster is making or selling jewelry or both, what kind of course would qualify them to do that?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies