turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shira617

Do I enter 1099Q in fed for a 529 distribution that I paid to daughter's K ? I contributed 4000 Va. 529 and took a 4000 distribution. Do I need a 1098 from school?

I contributed 4000 to Va 529 for my daughter (beneficiary).  I then withdrew 4000 that I used to pay toward her kindergarten tuition.  (Tuition is more than 4000). I entered the 529 contribution in the Va. return.  Do I need to enter 1099 Q in the federal return?

Also, I did not receive a 1098 from the school.  Do I need one each year?  If so, is that entered in federal, state or both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Do I enter 1099Q in fed for a 529 distribution that I paid to daughter's K ? I contributed 4000 Va. 529 and took a 4000 distribution. Do I need a 1098 from school?

No, if you used the 1099-Q distribution for Kindergarten, and the tuition was as much or more than the distribution, you do not NEED to enter the 1099-Q. Please keep the 1099-Q and the tuition receipt with your tax file. 

You MAY enter the 1099-Q, the program will ask if it was used for K-12 education, and when you answer yes, the program will tell you that it is not taxable. There is no reporting that is sent with your Federal return for this 1099-Q. 

You will not receive a 1098-T until the student starts college, at which time the 1098-T is entered to offset distributions and/or apply for an education credit. 

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

No, if you used the 1099-Q distribution for Kindergarten, and the tuition was as much or more than the distribution, you do not NEED to enter the 1099-Q. Please keep the 1099-Q and the tuition receipt with your tax file. 

You MAY enter the 1099-Q, the program will ask if it was used for K-12 education, and when you answer yes, the program will tell you that it is not taxable. There is no reporting that is sent with your Federal return for this 1099-Q. 

You will not receive a 1098-T until the student starts college, at which time the 1098-T is entered to offset distributions and/or apply for an education credit. 

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies