Solved: My wife, cosigner, received a 1098-E for a reduce amount settlement of my sons student loan. Does my wife need to file this on her taxes or only my son or both?

overtaxed55

My wife, cosigner, received a 1098-E for a reduce amount settlement of my sons student loan. Does my wife need to file this on her taxes or only my son or both?

LeeM

You wife should file the form 1098-E. Only the person who is making the payments needs to report the Form 1098-E as this could be a deduction for them for the Student Loan Interest paid. 

overtaxed55

we owed 17 they settled for11 they are adding 6 to our income. Does my son claim it  or wife?
LeeM