• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brimba

My son received a scholarship that pays for all his expenses (room and board and also food). How can I claim his food expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Texas Roger
Level 15

My son received a scholarship that pays for all his expenses (room and board and also food). How can I claim his food expense?

Food and housing expense is not deductible. Your son must enter the scholarship income that paid for non qualified expenses such as room and board on his tax return. It is taxable income for him. Whether or not he must actually pay any taxes on it depends on whether the taxable scholarship along with any other income exceeds his standard deduction or not.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Texas Roger
Level 15

Food and housing expense is not deductible. Your son must enter the scholarship income that paid for non qualified expenses such as room and board on his tax return. It is taxable income for him. Whether or not he must actually pay any taxes on it depends on whether the taxable scholarship along with any other income exceeds his standard deduction or not.

Privacy Settings
v