rhino6712

My son is 24. I paid 12,000 in tuition, books, etc for 2018. Last year I was able to itemize this. Not this year?

Was there a tax law change affecting the deductability for college age dependents?

Vanessa

Twenty four has been the cut off to claim a dependent and take a deduction or credit for a childs education expenses for years.

This year there is an exception to that rule.  If your son earned less than $4,150 for the year and you provided more than 1/2 of his entire support for the year, you would still be able to claim him and his education expenses if you qualify for the AOTC or Lifetime Learning Credit.

The Tuition and Fees Deduction is NOT available this year, so the education only benefit this year would be the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Education Credits Comparison