My parents pay my tuition, but I am filling a tax return for myself, do I include the tuition in my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnaB

If your parents are claiming you as a dependent, then no, you would not report your tuition on your tax return.  If you are filing as an independent, then you should claim it.  Whoever claims the personal exemption for the student is the person who is eligible to receive any education tax benefit, regardless of who pays.

Note: If you received any grants/scholarships as reported in Box 5 of Form 1098-T, you need to determine if this amount exceeds your qualified education expenses for the year.  In addition, you need to determine if any portion went toward ineligible expenses such as room and board.  These situations would cause taxable scholarship/grant income to populate on your return.

AnnaB