turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband took a course to get his class A. Can that be file on his taxes as a deductible for a non government school loan.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

My husband took a course to get his class A. Can that be file on his taxes as a deductible for a non government school loan.

The cost of the course is a deductible business expense.  You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests.

• The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.
  • The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it isn't qualifying work-related education if it:

• Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business, or
  • Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardG

I assume this is a type of commercial driver's license.  Was your husband employed as a driver before taking the course?

Yes it is and Yes he was but he had his class B.
RichardG

The cost of the course is a deductible business expense.  You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests.

• The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.
  • The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it isn't qualifying work-related education if it:

• Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business, or
  • Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies