redhead2_14

My husband received a 1098-T but the money used for the tuition came from his military Chapter 30, he didn't pay any of that. Does he qualify for the American Opportunity

Does he qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or Tuition and Fees Deduction since he didn't pay the tuition himself? Do we have to list it on our taxes if he doesn't qualify?

MaryK1

No, he cannot use the amounts from the military for the American Opportunity Credit or other education tax benefits.  You do not have to enter the 1098-T.

MaryK1

redhead2_14

Thank you!