Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbritt

My daughter's school does not issue 1098-T's. I have the billing statements from the school with the tuition and fees itemized. Is there a place I can enter this info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My daughter's school does not issue 1098-T's. I have the billing statements from the school with the tuition and fees itemized. Is there a place I can enter this info?

What kind of school is she attending?   Is it accredited?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

To be eligible for the tuition credits or tuition & fees deduction, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

If your school is an eligible institution, TurboTax will give you a chance to enter tuition paid, after telling it you qualify for an exception for not getting a 1098-T.

sbritt

It is a state community college,  they are accredited, and they do participate in federal student aid programs. Their website says that they are not required to issue 1098T's, and the we should consult with a tax professional for guidance. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

A form 1098-T was made a requirement for the education credits a couple of years ago.  However, if you qualify for an exception, you may still claim the AOC, without a 1098-T.  If you attended an eligible institution, you most likely qualify for an exception. 

“However, a taxpayer may claim one of these education
benefits if the student doesn’t receive a Form 1098-T because
the student’s educational institution isn’t required to send a
Form 1098-T to the student under existing rules (for example, if
the student is a nonresident alien, has qualified education
expenses paid entirely with scholarships, or has qualified
education expenses paid under a formal billing arrangement). If a
student’s educational institution isn’t required to provide a Form
1098-T to the student, a taxpayer may claim one of these
education benefits without a Form 1098-T if the taxpayer
otherwise qualifies, can demonstrate that the taxpayer (or a
dependent) was enrolled at an eligible educational institution,
and can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related
expenses.”  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8917.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies