jlstover0076

My daughter is 18 + full time student Her income $2500 Her 1098T lists $1800 in scholarships. Does she have to file her own taxes? I claim her on mine as a dependent.

JulieH1

You can claim her as long as she meets the qualifying child definition:

Your qualifying dependent must live with you for more than half the year. (Being away at school counts as living with you)

The qualifying dependent must be one of these:

Under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Under age 24, if a student, at the end of the tax year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Permanently and totally disabled

The qualifying dependent can’t have provided more than half of his or her own support.

She does not need to file her own taxes, but she may want to do a return to get a possible return.  Make sure she marks that she can be claimed by someone else.  

The scholarship money is not taxable.

JulieH1

Permanently and totally disabled

The scholarship money is not taxable.