turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmgmoore

My daughter has special education assistance at her private school can i deduct this expense the cost is about $2000 per year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My daughter has special education assistance at her private school can i deduct this expense the cost is about $2000 per year

Yes, if her doctor recommends it.

According to the IRS:

"You can include in medical expenses fees you pay on a doctor's recommendation for a child's tutoring by a teacher who is specially trained and qualified to work with children who have learning disabilities caused by mental or physical impairments, including nervous system disorders. You can include in medical expenses the cost (tuition, meals, and lodging) of attending a school that furnishes special education to help a child to overcome learning disabilities. For expenses to be deductible, a doctor must recommend that the child attend the school. Overcoming the learning disabilities must be a principal reason for attending the school, and any ordinary education received must be incidental to the special education provided. Special education includes: Teaching Braille to a visually impaired person, Teaching lip reading to a hearing disabled person, or Giving remedial language training to correct a condition caused by a birth defect. You can't include in medical expenses the cost of sending a child with behavioral problems to a school where the course of study and the disciplinary methods have a beneficial effect on the child's attitude if the availability of medical care in the school isn't a principal reason for sending the student there."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

cherie377

$3000. Deductible. Special medication for my son which was 1800. For three year at $150 a month.

cherie377

Sorry. For the year, not three
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I am afraid I am not completely clear as to your question, but any medical expenses that are part of your deductible are considered medical expenses paid by you, but you might want to post a question of your own to be sure we understand your full question and so that we give you the best answer.
cherie377

My son has special needs, and is in need of a special medication on a daily basis what's the cost for it is $150 a month for the year is $1850. Can I use this as a write off?
Also are medical expenses deductible was $3,000 is that a write off for medical expenses? that is also separate from the medication.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies