turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vonogas

My college student took out a loan to pay for tuition, books, room and board. I co-signed the loan. Does this count as "provided more than 50% of their support"?

We are planning to pay-off the student loan after graduation. Also, does the student loan count as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

My college student took out a loan to pay for tuition, books, room and board. I co-signed the loan. Does this count as "provided more than 50% of their support"?

Yes, if you are responsible for the loan, you can include this as support. You can also include room/board, transportation, financial help for everyday expenses, etc. Every situation is different, but most full-time college students are still eligible to be claimed as dependents.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

Yes, if you are responsible for the loan, you can include this as support. You can also include room/board, transportation, financial help for everyday expenses, etc. Every situation is different, but most full-time college students are still eligible to be claimed as dependents.

Manage cookies