Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child is a first year college student. Box 5 of the 1098-T exceeds box 2 by approx $9800. My child also has W-2 from part time job earned 5488...How should we file?

I want to know if I we can claim child as a dependent or does the child need to file on their own this tax season.  Or does child file and but claim on their taxes they are still a dependent?  How do we proceed without violating tax rules?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

My child is a first year college student. Box 5 of the 1098-T exceeds box 2 by approx $9800. My child also has W-2 from part time job earned 5488...How should we file?

If you qualify to claim you child as a dependent, then you will file form 1098-T to claim an education credit. In this case, your child can also file a tax return and indicate that he or she is being claimed as a dependent

Please view the requirements below, to see if you qualify to claim your child as a qualifying child:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.(time away at school counts as time living at home).
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

If you did not pass the requirements above, then you may meet the requirements below:

• They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child”.
  • Gross Income: Dependent earns less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you.

If you do not qualify to claim the child as a dependent, then he or she will file a tax return and file form 1098-T to claim an education credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If you qualify to claim you child as a dependent, then you will file form 1098-T to claim an education credit. In this case, your child can also file a tax return and indicate that he or she is being claimed as a dependent

Please view the requirements below, to see if you qualify to claim your child as a qualifying child:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.(time away at school counts as time living at home).
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

If you did not pass the requirements above, then you may meet the requirements below:

• They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child”.
  • Gross Income: Dependent earns less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you.

If you do not qualify to claim the child as a dependent, then he or she will file a tax return and file form 1098-T to claim an education credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies