pixie0802

My 1098-T has box 7 checked. I have an amount in box 2 can I claim the room and board paid in Jan of 2018 on my 2017 taxes

The amount in box 2 represents the tuition paid for Fall semester 2017 and spring semester 2018.  Should my Spring semester 2018 expenses be shown on my 2017 tax form?  If not how do I catch this situation up?

Anita01

Yes, spring semester can be included if you actually paid it in 2017.  After you enter the Box 2 amount, a small field pops up asking how much Tuition was actually paid.  If you didn't pay the full Box 2 amount in 2017, then, when the same Box pops up next year, you'll include the payment for Spring semester.  Room and Board expenses are not eligible expenses for education credits.