twirtz5

My 1098-E form has an interest amount paid that is 2.5 times more than I did pay. Should I continue with the amount listed in box 1 or question Navient?

MichaelMc

Is it possible that you refinanced or consolidated your student loans during 2016? When those types of transactions take place, the accrued interest of the "old" loan(s) is considered paid and becomes part of the principal of the "new" loan.

You can usually rely on the amounts reported on the 1098-E. But, if you are still uncomfortable, call your loan servicer and discuss why the interest is higher than you expected.

MichaelMc