Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

J-1 resident alien postdoc fellow scholarship

Hi there, I'm a J1 Visa holder (visiting scholar) since 2014. I know that this year I'm a resident for tax purposes. I am a postdoc fellow and I receive a stipend (foreign source and a part from the university where I conduct my research). However, I'm not in the payroll system (because stipends are not wages or salaries). I have no W2 form only my pay stubs. Does anyone know if TurboTax is able to help me file my taxes? Which form do I need to attach?

2 Replies
Level 7

J-1 resident alien postdoc fellow scholarship

You would enter your fellowship under credits and deductions - educational expenses. You have to click through several non relevant questions until you get to the screen to enter taxable fellowship income. No need to attach anything.

That income will be added to line 7 of your form 1040. If you haven't done so in 2016, you should consider making quarterly estimated tax payments in 2017.

New Member

J-1 resident alien postdoc fellow scholarship

in my case, I already paid tax in China, do I need to paid in USA again?
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings