Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child attended online summer program with Duke university, can I claim the amount I spent on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Child attended online summer program with Duke university, can I claim the amount I spent on my taxes?

You did not provide any indication of the age or educational level of your child. The various federal educational tax benefits, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction, are all limited to providing relief for the costs of post-secondary education.

If your child is an elementary or secondary school student taking an enrichment program, there are no federal tax benefits available for such programs. If a high school student is participating in a dual enrollment program, where college credits are earned while remaining enrolled in their "home" high school, the tuition and fees for the college credits would qualify for the LLC or the tuition and fees deduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelMc

You did not provide any indication of the age or educational level of your child. The various federal educational tax benefits, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction, are all limited to providing relief for the costs of post-secondary education.

If your child is an elementary or secondary school student taking an enrichment program, there are no federal tax benefits available for such programs. If a high school student is participating in a dual enrollment program, where college credits are earned while remaining enrolled in their "home" high school, the tuition and fees for the college credits would qualify for the LLC or the tuition and fees deduction.

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's complicated, as TurboTaxMichaelMc's answer indicates.
A simplified answer is: if you got an IRS form 1098-T, from Duke, for the tuition you paid, you are probably eligible for a credit or deduction.
You are unlikely to be eligible for the more generous American Opportunity Tax Credit, as that requires the student to be an enrolled degree candidate.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies