Is there a reason getting a tax break for student loan interest paid costs me $60? Seems like filing the Schedule 1 Tax Form should be the same as filing any other form.

It IS the same as filing "any other form." TurboTax Free Edition includes only the basic Form 1040. Any tax situation that requires "any other form" or schedule requires one of the paid editions.

If you have not paid yet, you might want to see if you can use the TurboTax Free File Program instead of Free Edition. See the FAQ at the link below for information about TurboTax Free File Program, including the requirements to be able to use it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program