Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im a self employed hairstylist. I'm wondering what I can still deduct under the new tax bill. Can I still deduct education, travel, supplies, amenities? What has changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Im a self employed hairstylist. I'm wondering what I can still deduct under the new tax bill. Can I still deduct education, travel, supplies, amenities? What has changed?

New tax laws mainly focus on 2018 taxes, which will be filed in 2019.  2017 taxes, which you are filing now, are not impacted for most filers. There are a few examples where 2017 taxes may be affected that you can learn about at the TurboTax Tax Reform Center.

You can estimate your tax refund at any time with TaxCaster. It’s up-to-date with the latest tax laws and can estimate both your current and future year taxes.  This free tax return estimator tool accurately forecasts your federal income taxes to show how much you may get back or what you may owe.

Tax Reform and What it Means for You  Click here for more details on tax reform.

Changes specific to business owners:

The bill has a myriad of changes for business. The biggest includes a reduction in the top corporate rate to 21%, a new 20% deduction for incomes from certain type of “pass-through” entities (partnerships, S Corps, sole proprietorships), limits on expensing of interest from borrowing, almost doubling of the amount small businesses can expense from the 2017 Section 179 amount of $510,000 to $1,000,000, and eliminates the corporate alternative minimum tax (AMT).

Business income that passes through to an individual from a pass-through entity and income attributable to a sole proprietorship will be taxed at individual tax rates less a deduction of up to 20% to bring the rate even lower.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies