Im a college student and my sister is filling me o...

Im a college student and my sister is filling me on her taxes. How will my 1098t effect her taxes, and can i still file for my own taxes withheld.

A dependent cannot get education credits.  The person claiming the dependent gets the education credit.

If you are someone else's dependent you can still file your own tax return to seek a refund of tax withheld, but you MUST say in My Info that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.

"The person claiming the dependent gets the education credit".  Your sister enters the 1098-T, on her tax return.  

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.