turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What type of filing should I do for 1098T and no w-2?

Two separate schools, unemployed, full time student.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If you were under 24, did not have earned income (i.e. W2), did not have any income....I'm not sure why you'd file a return at all? If your parents were alive, and you had no earned income, you couldn't get a refund from filing.

To get the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit, you cannot fail the test below-

You do not qualify for a refundable American opportunity credit if 1 (a, b, or c), 2, and 3 below apply to you.

1. You were: a. Under age 18 at the end of 2016, or

b. Age 18 at the end of 2016 and your earned income (defined later) was less than one-half of your support (defined later), or

c. Over age 18 and under age 24 at the end of 2016 and a full-time student (defined later) and your earned income (defined later) was less than one-half of your support (defined later). 

2. At least one of your parents was alive at the end of 2016.

3. You are not filing a joint return for 2016.

Assuming you meet the qualifications for the American Opportunity Credit to begin with, it cannot produce a refund if your W2 income is $0.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8863.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Are you a dependent of another person? Are you under 24 years old? Do you have unemployment income?

I am no longer a dependent, I am turning 24 years old this year, and I do not have unemployment income.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If you were under 24, did not have earned income (i.e. W2), did not have any income....I'm not sure why you'd file a return at all? If your parents were alive, and you had no earned income, you couldn't get a refund from filing.

To get the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit, you cannot fail the test below-

You do not qualify for a refundable American opportunity credit if 1 (a, b, or c), 2, and 3 below apply to you.

1. You were: a. Under age 18 at the end of 2016, or

b. Age 18 at the end of 2016 and your earned income (defined later) was less than one-half of your support (defined later), or

c. Over age 18 and under age 24 at the end of 2016 and a full-time student (defined later) and your earned income (defined later) was less than one-half of your support (defined later). 

2. At least one of your parents was alive at the end of 2016.

3. You are not filing a joint return for 2016.

Assuming you meet the qualifications for the American Opportunity Credit to begin with, it cannot produce a refund if your W2 income is $0.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8863.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies