turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Patrick8

If my wife and I make over the phaseout amount, other than 401k & HSA, what are some additional ways we can lower our MAGI to deduct the most education interest possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If my wife and I make over the phaseout amount, other than 401k & HSA, what are some additional ways we can lower our MAGI to deduct the most education interest possible?

If you have capital investments that have lost value, you might be able to harvest those losses to offset income.  After being applied against capital gains, you can apply up to $3,000 of remaining capital losses against other types of income in any one year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

"education interest"  Do you mean the Student Loan Interest Deduction?
Patrick8

Yes.
dmertz
Level 15

If you have capital investments that have lost value, you might be able to harvest those losses to offset income.  After being applied against capital gains, you can apply up to $3,000 of remaining capital losses against other types of income in any one year.

There really isn't anything else you can do, except contribute to a Traditional IRA.  But your income may be too high to allow a deduction for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies