turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

International student wondering, can I file my taxes and get a refund on my tuition despite not having an income or never having had a job or paid income tax in America?

I know I need a W-7 to get an ITIN, and I have already received my 1098-T form. But I'm still not sure how to proceed or if I'm even eligible for a tax refund on my tuition.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

International student wondering, can I file my taxes and get a refund on my tuition despite not having an income or never having had a job or paid income tax in America?

If you are a nonresident alien ( assuming you are on an F-1 visa) for any part of the year, you generally cannot claim the education credits. However, you may possibly claim an education credit under the following circumstances.

1. You are married and choose to file a joint return with a U.S. citizen or resident spouse as discussed under Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

2. You are a dual-status alien, and choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire year. See Choosing Resident Alien Status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are a nonresident alien ( assuming you are on an F-1 visa) for any part of the year, you generally cannot claim the education credits. However, you may possibly claim an education credit under the following circumstances.

1. You are married and choose to file a joint return with a U.S. citizen or resident spouse as discussed under Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

2. You are a dual-status alien, and choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire year. See Choosing Resident Alien Status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies