turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apmooreap

If my daughter's college tuition is greater than her scholarships received, why does her scholarship count as income?

I understand that room and board are not tax deductible, but what about the "required" things...books, etc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If my daughter's college tuition is greater than her scholarships received, why does her scholarship count as income?

You need to go through the education screens and enter all of her expenses.  Once you have all the expenses (amounting to more than her scholarships) the taxable scholarship will go away and/or she will qualify for education credits.   You can type in - Education  - in the search bar and use the Jump to Education link to get to the section where you enter the expenses.  The tuition is usually on a 1098-T and there will be follow-up questions that will ask about 'Other Expenses'' where you can add books and 'required' things.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301953

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Are you getting an education credit?
apmooreap

No, we are not. I followed all of the directions and entered that her scholarship was not being used for room and board. However, it still said that the $ would be considered income.
apmooreap

Thank you. Perhaps I missed something. After reading this, I have decided to recheck my entries.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You need to go through the education screens and enter all of her expenses.  Once you have all the expenses (amounting to more than her scholarships) the taxable scholarship will go away and/or she will qualify for education credits.   You can type in - Education  - in the search bar and use the Jump to Education link to get to the section where you enter the expenses.  The tuition is usually on a 1098-T and there will be follow-up questions that will ask about 'Other Expenses'' where you can add books and 'required' things.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301953

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies