Solved: If I am a student who works on campus doing comput...

jadikertaxes

If I am a student who works on campus doing computing, does a research program in computing involve work like my main job?

I work as a virtual reality developer on campus, and TurboTax is asking me if my DREU program I did over the summer (https://cra.org/cra-wp/dreu/) "[involves] work that's like my main job", because they paid me in the form of a 1099-MISC. Should I pick yes or no?

SusanY1

I would pick yes, it sounds like the work is similar in nature.  However, the answer won't affect what is reported on your tax return itself - this is a question designed to help tailor the remaining interview questions.

SusanY1

Hal_Al

It's a "gray area" in taxes.  Was the income shown in 3 or box 7 of the 1099 Misc?

You say you work "on campus" but then you say it was "over the summer".  Who paid you? Was it the school or a  for profit company or a non profit?

If the school paid you and the amount was in box 3 of the 1099-Misc, it can usually be reported as scholarship income and not subject to self employment tax.

Any thing in box 7, should probably be treated as "work that's like my main job"

jadikertaxes

School pays me during the school year: I have a W-2 for that. This question was pertaining to the 1099-MISC for work I did in a DREU program over the summer, which was reported in box 7.