leo3991

I zeroed the $4000 tuition deduction due to no income in 2016. Turbotax won't let me efile due to this override. How do I get past this?

I received a scholarship over $6200 but less than tuition costs. Do I need to file?

IsabellaG

Are you saying that you had no income, only Education Expenses?

If you are 24 years old or older, and  no one can claim you as a dependent on their tax return you haven't already claimed the American Opportunity Credit, you may be able to claim the refundable portion of that credit, up to $1000. That's a pretty unusual situation. If TurboTax has already calculated that you are only eligible for the Tuition and Fees Deduction, then this wouldn't apply to you.

Otherwise, with no income, unless you have a 1095-A for Health Insurance obtained from Healthcare.gov, and you received an Advance Premium Credit, you do not need to file a return.

IsabellaG