nleh002

I work at the polls on election day and I went over $600 this past year. What do I need to file 1098 or 1099?

TomD8

Form 1098 is for mortgage interest.

If you earned $600 or more as an independent contractor, the payer is supposed to issue you a 1099-MISC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

Form 1098 is for mortgage interest.

macuser_22

I believe the reporting requirement for an election worker requires the Government entity that you worked for to provide a W-2.

See:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/election-workers-reporting-a...>
TomD8

Good to know.  Thanks.