Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't knowthat preschool tuition was tax deductible until 2017.He went to a preschool in 2016. Can I claim 2016 tuition ($1,120) this year at all?

It was a religious preschool (perhaps tax exempt because of that?) and I paid $1,120 in 2016 and $1,120 in 2017.  The question in TurboTax is "how much did you pay in 2017".  I only found out preschool tuition was deductible this year when I transferred him to an Elementary school preschool program and they sent me tax forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I didn't knowthat preschool tuition was tax deductible until 2017.He went to a preschool in 2016. Can I claim 2016 tuition ($1,120) this year at all?

If you both show earned income the preK costs can be entered for the childcare credit.  You cannot claim the 2016 credit on your 2017 tax return.  If you want to claim it for 2016 you need to amend your 2016 tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

To enter the childcare credit go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child and Dependent Care Credit

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did your child attend the preK so that you could work?  It is only deductible if you had childcare so that you could work.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was working full time.  My wife works PT via 1099.  The hours for his school and her work sometimes clashed, but overall it's just that she wanted him to attend preschool.

I see from the answer here (<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3419688">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3419688</a>) that it should be deductible as both she and I earned wages and the situation was the same in 2016 as well.  So I guess my question remains as to whether or not I lost the chance to claim the credit in 2016 returns or if I can somehow claim it now.

If you both show earned income the preK costs can be entered for the childcare credit.  You cannot claim the 2016 credit on your 2017 tax return.  If you want to claim it for 2016 you need to amend your 2016 tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

To enter the childcare credit go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child and Dependent Care Credit

Thank you very much.  Especially for the link.

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies