turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaflores

I reported a 1099 totalling 10,415 but not all the money were profits I did commit expenses for parts and supplies

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I reported a 1099 totalling 10,415 but not all the money were profits I did commit expenses for parts and supplies

You enter the 1099-MISC in self-employment income and then report all of your self-employment expenses.  The difference is your profit which is the amount you pay tax on.  Self-employment income and the related expenses are reported on Schedule C.  We'll automatically complete Schedule C or C-EZ when you set up your self-employment work in TurboTax or when you enter what the IRS considers self-employment income (it’s often reported on a 1099-MISC). 

To set up your business:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for schedule c and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? and follow the instructions.

If you need Schedule C to report a 1099-MISC, search for 1099-misc and select the Jump to link. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC? and follow these directions. We'll ask questions to find out if the income needs to go on Schedule C or C-EZ and add the right schedule to your return (if needed).

Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses?  Enter your part and supply expenses in the self-employment expenses section.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies