turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a reimbursement from my scholarship. Should this be what I enter or the full amount before they took out my tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I received a reimbursement from my scholarship. Should this be what I enter or the full amount before they took out my tuition?

When you enter the 1098-T, enter the amounts in boxes 1 and 5 just like the form.

If you have additional income from scholarships not reported on the 1098-T, they can be entered from the form they are on or if there is no form, under Other Income. Follow these steps:

1. Log into your return
  2. Federal
  3. Click on Income
  4. Scroll to the bottom section, Less Common Income
  5. Select Miscellaneous income, 1099-A, 1099-C, start
  6. Select Other Income
  7. Did you receive other wages? Yes
  8. Continue
  9. Household employee? Continue
  10. Sick or disability pay? Continue
  11. Any other earned income or wages? Yes
  12. Enter source of Other Earned Income
  13. Select Other
  14. Continue
  15. Enter description SCH
  16. Enter amount
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's not quite clear what "reimbursement from my scholarship" means.  It is common for a student's scholarship to exceed  his expenses and he gets the excess refunded as "spending money".  If the excess amount is already included in the box 5 (1098-T) amount, there is nothing special you need to do.  TurboTax will automatically calculate the taxable amount.

After entering the 1098-T, a follow up screen will ask if you had any other scholarships not shown on the 1098-T.  Only if the scholarship was shown on another document (W-2, 1099)  should it be entered somewhere else. 

That said, be advised that the 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income.  You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies