turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adam-s

I received a 1098 T from school that has values in Box 1 and 2. Turbo Tax will not let me complete my e-file with values in both boxes yet this is what the form shows

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AndreaG

I received a 1098 T from school that has values in Box 1 and 2. Turbo Tax will not let me complete my e-file with values in both boxes yet this is what the form shows

You need to get a corrected form from the school because only one of those boxes should have an amount in it. 

The school will report information about your tuition in one of two ways. Box 1 reports the amount of tuition that the school actually received to pay for the classes that you took in 2016 and/or the classes that you took in the first 3 months of 2017 (if box 7 is checked). 

Box 2 reports the amounts that the school billed for the classes that you took in 2016 and/or the courses that you took that started in the first 3 months of 2017 (if box 7 is checked). 

So how you report your qualified education expenses for 2016, depends on which box they completed. If they complete box 1, this would be the amount of tuition that was paid so no additional clarification is necessary to identify your tuition expenses for the credit. 

If they complete box 2, it will represent the total amounts billed so you will need to clarify in Turbo Tax, what amount of tuition you actually paid in 2016, for the purposes of calculating an education credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies