Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I receive a monthly stipend of $150.00 for being a full time student in a yeshiva (Talmudic college) in Israel. Do I report this income? If so, how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I receive a monthly stipend of $150.00 for being a full time student in a yeshiva (Talmudic college) in Israel. Do I report this income? If so, how?

The answer to your question is that your monthly $150 stipend is tax-free only if you are pursing an academic degree (and not just a religious designation or achievement), and if the stipend is used to pay tuition or fees to your Talmudic college as a condition for enrollment, or for specific courses.  The citation for this determination is (2016) IRS Publication 970, Page 5, which reads in part:

"Qualified education expenses

For purposes of tax-free scholarships, [stipends] and fellowship grants, these are expenses
for:
  • Tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution; and
  • Course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies, and equipment that are required for the courses at the eligible educational institution. These items must be required of all students in your course of instruction."

Here is a courtesy link to IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits For Education) for reference:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Once you determine how much, if any, of your $150 monthly stipend is taxable (or if the whole annual amount you received is taxable), then you can enter it into TurboTax (and thus onto your actual tax return) by following the process outlined in the following answer, which was recently provided to a graduate student with fellowship income.  Your (taxable) stipend would be entered in an identical manner to fellowship and grant income, on a US tax return.  Here is a clickable link to that discussion:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3736253

Thank you for asking this important question; and good luck with your studies.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

The answer to your question is that your monthly $150 stipend is tax-free only if you are pursing an academic degree (and not just a religious designation or achievement), and if the stipend is used to pay tuition or fees to your Talmudic college as a condition for enrollment, or for specific courses.  The citation for this determination is (2016) IRS Publication 970, Page 5, which reads in part:

"Qualified education expenses

For purposes of tax-free scholarships, [stipends] and fellowship grants, these are expenses
for:
  • Tuition and fees required to enroll at or attend an eligible educational institution; and
  • Course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies, and equipment that are required for the courses at the eligible educational institution. These items must be required of all students in your course of instruction."

Here is a courtesy link to IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits For Education) for reference:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Once you determine how much, if any, of your $150 monthly stipend is taxable (or if the whole annual amount you received is taxable), then you can enter it into TurboTax (and thus onto your actual tax return) by following the process outlined in the following answer, which was recently provided to a graduate student with fellowship income.  Your (taxable) stipend would be entered in an identical manner to fellowship and grant income, on a US tax return.  Here is a clickable link to that discussion:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3736253

Thank you for asking this important question; and good luck with your studies.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies